I’m on a bit of a mission to overhaul my breakfast habits at the moment and now I’m a
little bit a lot addicted to smashed avocado on toast. I can’t get over how delicious it is, fresh and it tastes like summer. The health benefits of avocado are well-known, it’s full of healthy fats, anti-oxidants, and can also lower cholesterol. They’re also high in protein, great for keeping you fuller for longer and for fuelling your workouts!
But enough of that, I’m not a nutritionist, I’m a fan of delicious foods and this simple recipe for smashed avocado on rye toast is quick, easy, tasty and will keep you satisfied for the whole morning. It takes about 5 minutes to make and the longest step is toasting the bread. It’s absolutely perfect to enjoy sitting in the garden on a sunny morning.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 small ripe avocado (it should be slightly soft)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Handful of diced cherry tomatoes
- Crushed clove of garlic
- Black pepper
- 1 slice of rye bread
- Place all ingredients except rye bread into a bowl and use a fork to slightly mash and mix together. Texture should be chunky, not smooth.
- Toast rye bread. Rye bread takes longer to toast than most other breads and I find that it usually needs two rounds of the toaster.
- Put toast on plate and pile the avocado mixture on top. Enjoy!
Although I enjoy this dish in the morning, it’s a great and simple meal for any time of day. I sometimes dry fry bacon lardons to go with it – the smokey flavour of the bacon complements the fresh, garlicky nuttiness of the avocado perfectly!
Have you tried avocado toast? What do you think?